Take the train … and escape to the country for the holidays
Escape to the country by train this Christmas and leave yourself with festive spends to spare by picking up some cheap train tickets before you hop on board. Just read on for our pick of the top Britain’s rural winter wonderlands and make sure to stop by journey planner too.
No matter where you stay in the UK, a festive train journey can soon whisk you away to a winter wonderland in the great British countryside.
And if you’re hoping to get away from it all this Christmas or New Year, these magical destinations might just take your breath away.
• Take the train to Windermere …
… and visit England’s largest natural lake. Windermere is one of the Lake District’s most famous destinations and makes a great base for exploring the area’s famed natural beauty. The Lake District is the perfect festive destination for romantics and lovers of poetry. You could find a cosy cottage and soak up the spellbinding poems of Williams Wordsworth while gazing out over the magical rural scenery this Christmas.
• Take the train to Brockenhurst …
… and lose yourself in the New Forest. It can be difficult to find space to breathe in the heavily populated south east of England. The New Forest offers a peaceful rural setting where city folk can fill their lungs with fresh country air and enjoy a traditional ye old yuletide. Brockenhurst is one of the few villages to lie inside the New Forest and, due to its top transport links, it makes for a great place to set-out and explore the great outdoors.
• Take the train to Inverness…
… and experience the seasonal festivities in true Scottish style. Inverness is often called the capital of the Highlands, but its remote location makes a great staging point for an expedition to the least populous region of the British mainland. You could take a stroll along the shores of Loch Ness or climb a peak in the Cairngorm Mountains. Just don’t forget to experience the unique Highland Hogmanay hospitality.
• Take the train to Merthyr Tydfil…
… and conquer the Brecon Beacons. If you fancy spending the festive season enjoying some of the finest countryside South Wales has to offer then the Brecon Beacons may well be the place for you. The historic town of Merthyr Tydfil, once the largest in Wales, makes the perfect gateway to the majestic mountain range where you could enjoy some truly wonderful winter walks.
• Take the train to Buxton…
… and fall in love with the Peak District. Buxton, often described as ‘the gateway to the Peak District National Park’, could offer the perfect blend of pampering and peaks. As a traditional spa town, it offers festive visitors a plethora of pampering options. After the exertions of a day hiking through scenic terrain a lovely hot spa could help to melt away the aches and leave you feeling fresh, invigorated and ready for the New Year.
Will you be making tracks to the countryside, this Christmas?This entry was posted in Christmas and New Year and tagged cheap first class train tickets, cheap train tickets, cheap trains, cheap trains to Brockenhurst, cheap trains to Buxton, cheap trains to Inverness, cheap trains to Merthyr Tydfil, cheap trains to the Brecon Beacons, cheap trains to the Highlands, cheap trains to the Lake District, cheap trains to the New Forest, cheap trains to the Peak District countryside at Christmas, cheap trains to Windermere, countryside at New Year, destination guide, destination guides, journey planner, redspottedhanky.com, to x, trains to Brockenhurst, trains to Buxton, trains to Inverness, trains to Merthyr Tydfil, trains to the Brecon Beacons, trains to the Highlands, trains to the Lake District, trains to the New Forest, trains to the Peak District, trains to Windermere. Bookmark the permalink.
- Christmas and New Year
- cheap first class train tickets | cheap train tickets | cheap trains | cheap trains to Brockenhurst | cheap trains to Buxton | cheap trains to Inverness | cheap trains to Merthyr Tydfil | cheap trains to the Brecon Beacons | cheap trains to the Highlands | cheap trains to the Lake District | cheap trains to the New Forest | cheap trains to the Peak District countryside at Christmas | cheap trains to Windermere | countryside at New Year | destination guide | destination guides | journey planner | redspottedhanky.com | to x | trains to Brockenhurst | trains to Buxton | trains to Inverness | trains to Merthyr Tydfil | trains to the Brecon Beacons | trains to the Highlands | trains to the Lake District | trains to the New Forest | trains to the Peak District | trains to Windermere